The Greens will move in State Parliament to reverse changes made last year to the Nuclear Waste Storage Facility (Prohibition) Act, which the Government said were necessary to enable public consultation over whether South Australia should become the World’s nuclear waste dump.
Greens SA Parliamentary Leader, Mark Parnell MLC, will move these amendments when Parliament resumes on Tuesday 20th June.
“Now that the Premier has ruled out any further move to establish a dump, the Parliament should reinstate our State’s anti-nuclear waste dump laws. The law needs to be reinstated to make sure that no more public money is wasted on this ill-conceived and risky project that most South Australians oppose,” said Mr Parnell.
“The findings of the Nuclear Fuel Cycle Royal Commission were overwhelmingly rejected by a 350-strong Citizens Jury and most political parties have now joined the Greens in calling for the dump to be buried once and for all.
“The Government has already wasted over $13 million of taxpayers’ money on this dump proposal and I want to make sure that any future public relations exercises for hair-brained schemes like this won’t be funded without Parliament’s approval. There are still too many die-hard nuclear dump supporters inside both the old parties for us to trust them with public money.
“If the Premier wants us to believe the dump is truly dead, he needs to support the Greens’ Bill to prevent wasting further public money,” concluded Mark Parnell.